Srila Prabhupada explained that the results of all devotional activities performed in the holy dhama are magnified a thousand times. Therefore, one can make rapid advancement if one lives offenselessly in the holy dhama. But if we commit offenses, the results of those offenses are also magnified one thousand times. Therefore, one is advised to carefully avoid committing any offense in the holy dhama.
Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura has listed ten offenses against the holy dhama that we must carefully avoid in order to be fully benefitted from our visit to or residence in the holy dhama:
- To disrespect one’s spiritual master who reveals the dhama to the disciple
- To think that the holy dhama is temporary.
- To commit violence towards any of the residents of the holy dhama or to any of the pilgrims who come there, or to think that they are ordinary people. Srila Prabhupada writes: “All the inhabitants of Vrindavana are Vaisnavas. They are all auspicious because somehow or other they always chant the holy name of Krishna” (C.C.Adi 5.232, purport).
- To perform mundane activities while living in the holy dhama.
- To utilize the dhama for personal economic development by commercializing deity worship and sankirtana in the holy dhama.
- To think that the holy dhama belongs to a mundane country or province, such as Bengal; to think that the Lord’s dhama is equal to a place connected with some demigod, or to attempt to measure the area of the holy dhama.
- To commit sinful acts while residing in the holy dhama.
- To consider Vrindavana-dhama as different from Navadvipa-dhama.
- To blaspheme the sastras those assert the glorious position of the holy dhama.
- To be faithless and think that the glories of the dhama are imaginary.
Etiquette to be observed at Sri Mayapur Dhama (ALWAYS CHANT “HARE KRISHNA’ AND ADDRESS EVERYONE AS ‘HARE KRISHNA’)
Always fix fare in advance. Never fight with the rickshaw driver especially in Nabadwip City. In case of dispute get help from a local devotee.
Do not eat in the public street it may be dangerous to your health. Non-veg food, liquor, tobacco, etc is strictly prohibited at Sri Mayapur Dham.
- Manner to be followed inside the premises
Concentrate on spirituality when you are in temple and promote religious sentiments among co-pilgrims. Observe absolute silence and chant “Hare Krishna” maha mantra, inside the temple. Pilgrims are requested to keep their luggage in a suitcase or bag under lock and key. They can deposit their luggage at the Shoe Stand. They can collect their luggage after submitting the receipt or token after darsan of the Lord. Please leave your electronic Gadgets like Cell phones, Calculator, Camera and footwear etc... at the Shoe Stand before entering the temple. Do not carry your shoes in a bag into temple of the Lord. Photography is prohibited inside temple and in front of deity at ISKCON Mayapur. Inside Radha-Madhava temple from 9am to 10am photography is allowed with prior permission from security department. Don’t rush in for Darsan but take your turn in the queue. Co-operate with security personnel and maintain vaisanava etiquette when you are having darsan of Lord Sri Hari. Keep Temple clean. Don’t spit or commit nuisance. Drinking water and rest rooms are available outside of the temple hall.
- Dress Code
Don’t enter the temple, if, according to custom or usage, you are prohibited to enter. Grihasthas are requested to wear traditional dress for Darsan. Mens are appreciated if they wear neat and clean dhotis and kurtas. Ladies are appreciated if they wear sari or any other traditional dress. Mundane and modern dress are strictly prohibited.
Use your own locks on your room door. Do not bring foodstuffs into your rooms as this may attract insects, especially ants. Don’t allow stranger in your room.
- Moral Code & Behavior
To preserve and protect the reputation; images of Sri Mayapur Dhama; Sanatan Dharma and its culture, we humbly request to strictly follow the four regulative principles inside the temple premises:
-no eating of meat, fish, eggs
-no illicit sex life